Verses of the Week

  • Psalm 145:18 "The Lord is near to all who call upon Him, to all who call upon Him in truth."
  • Psalm 146:2 "While I live I will praise the Lord; I will sing praises to my God while I have my being."
  • John 14:21 "He who has my commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be love by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Sentimental about wood.

Sentimental... excited... exhausted. Just 3 of the many emotions I felt today as my husband started the destruction of our old house to make it into a garage.
Since we moved into the house in 2001/02, I have never thought I would feel sentimental about this day. It was to serve its purpose as our 1st little house and then its destiny was to be a garage when we built our dream home.... that would be that and I would be more than ready.
Well, we woke up this morning and the task began. I was cleaning out the closets so they could be torn out, opened for the garage. Pat was sawing out sheetrock and ripping down walls. I was on a mission most of the day and didn't even think about it being sentimental....
Until... I walked in and could see all the way through from the kitchen to Kamri's bedroom with only a few studs separating us. I started tearing up. I realized that the place we were holds so many memories and now they would only be upheld by pictures and not walls. First of all, the fact that my dad and my husband built it with their own hands and now remembering them nailing each piece of would together and it being torn away, just gave me chills. I can't go back. Second, it was "Our 1st Home"... made up of so many memories (some good and some hard), nevertheless MY memories and I wouldn't trade them for anything! Third, it was the place our 1st (and only right now) child was raised her 1st 2 years of life. Which brings me to my next topic.
Children's emotions. Kamri has been sentimental about the old house since we moved into the new one. When we walk over there once in a while to get something, she say's "but, this is where we're supposed to live." Although she has embraced her new pink room, she hasn't completely given up the thought of being in the other room. I think it was like a comfort to her... small, cozy, familiar. So today, she just looked like, "Dad, what in the world are you doing tearing up our walls?" So we all sat down in the midst of the sheetrock dust (bad for the health I know), and had a pow-wow about it. We explained to her that when it's pouring down rain outside and we have to run to our car getting soaked and cold, that we and our car would be much happier to have a dry place to get into. That was the best I could come up with at the moment. She seemed to understand and went on playing. All day she kept coming in saying, "Daddy, is the garage ready yet?"
Well, it'll be a few days, but it's coming.
Writing is healing. I feel much better having written down my thought of this day. Now I'm really ready for my garage!
Have you ever been sentimental about a place in your life?

4 comments:

Holly said...

I'm so glad you are back in the bloggy world because not only is it cathartic for you to write things out, we get to read them too and can share the experience with you.

I'm sure it IS very emotional to turn your First Home into a garage---and it's okay to feel that way. The way you explained it makes perfect sense and even makes me a bit sad for your first little house. But...look where the last couple of years have led and look where you are now!! It served it's purpose as a home, but it's still part of your new home, just in a different form.

I like the way you explained it to Kamri--so cute thnking how it will help keep your cars safe and dry.

Love ya & your house(s) and your new garage

Heather's House said...

oh, I know that must be really hard! Hang in there, girl! It will all be worth it and your memories there will always be special to you. I remember fun times there as well! :)

Love ya!

maria said...

I know exactly what you're talking about. Every house I moved out of as a kid had memories of its own. Its kinda sad to leave a place where all the surroundings had a place in your memories. Your new home will take on a sentimental feeling of its own as you build new memories there. I'm excited for you and your family in your beautiful new home! Love ya!

Kim said...

Welcome back to blog world!!! We've missed you! :)

I get totally emotional about the smallest things. The latest sentiment was cleaning out my closet and getting rid of the last shirts from college...so many memories of Jason and I when we were dating. I can only imagine the roller coaster of leaving a house.

Your new dream home is fabulous! Memories are a blessing. And think of all the new memories that you will have in the new house!

Love ya!